samedi 6 septembre 2014

Sketching From Photos

 My niece has some beautiful photos of the bay where she lives (Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia).
Today, on the spur of the moment, I was curious to see what I could produce drawing pencil sketches from photos. My interpretation took maybe 15 minutes max and I'm fairly happy with it.
Bay Photo
Bay Sketch

  I used a kneaded eraser to help me achieve the effect with the sunlight and rays.
All shading was done the same as before, with the side of the lead. My aim was to try and finish the piece in the shortest timeframe possible and to manage a good similarity.

I used a 2B wood pencil which made the job of placing fine railings on the jetty almost impossible. To fix that, I made the jetty bigger because I didn't want to stop the momentum to swap or sharpen my pencil.
I also pay attention to how I place my strokes, I want to get into the habit of them going in the one direction only, so I'm not dragging the graphite backwards and forwards. I think that action ruins a sketch yet my tendency to hurry seems to encourage it.

As I continue to look at this sketch, I think it looks more like a drawing. Learning to sketch is a process and I know what I visualize and what appears on my paper are generally 2 different things. I'm not worried, I know that if I keep practicing, I am going to achieve that sketchy look eventually.

 How Tto Sketch ?

If you would like to know more about sketching, check out the How To Sketch Guide where you'll learn heaps plus you receive great illustrations for copying.
All in all, you will discover that the variety of expression available to you is endless when you are drawing pencil sketches.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire